United for Efficiency supports The Gambia’s regulators to advance policies, strategies and actions for the phase-out of inefficient air conditioners and refrigerators. Emphasis is on an integrated policy approach so that a transition can be sustained by the domestic market without continued external support or resources.
NATIONAL FRAMEWORK FOR LEAPFROGGING TO ENERGY EFFICIENT AND CLIMATE FRIENDLY AIR CONDITIONERS AND REFRIGERATORS IN THE GAMBIA
This Green Climate Fund (GCF) Readiness-funded project aims to develop an integrated policy strategy to build a legislative framework for energy-efficient air conditioners and refrigerators in The Gambia. The project will catalyze broader market transformation for energy efficiency in The Gambia and will ultimately reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The project will run for two years, with UNEP U4E as the executing agency, in collaboration with the Ministry of Petroleum and Energy (MoPE) as the focal ministry and the Ministry of Finance and Economic Affairs (MoFEA) as the National Designated Authority.
- Build capacity within MoPE on energy-efficiency, air conditioners and refrigerators through training.
- Establish a Policy Working Group (PWG) which will ensure the sustainable development of the cooling as well as a continuous update.
- Build capacity within the PWG through a study tour to generate south-south learning from the region on national frameworks to leapfrog to energy-efficient cooling products.
- Conduct a national market assessment to assess the current situation of air conditioners and refrigerators in the country.
- Develop a National Cooling Action Plan to provide a framework for policy interventions in The Gambia for the cooling sector.
- Develop and implement Minimum Energy Performance Standards (MEPS) and labels for air conditioners and refrigerators.
- Increase awareness of consumers and stakeholders on MEPS and labels.
No key documents from project partners are available at this time
Leapfrogging to Energy Efficient and Climate Friendly Air Conditioners and Refrigerators in The Gambia
This factsheet provides a summary of the Leapfrogging to Energy…Read More