United for Efficiency supports Sudan’s policymakers and regulators to advance policies, strategies and actions for the phase-out of inefficient lighting and cooling products. Emphasis is on an integrated policy approach so that a transition can be sustained by the domestic market without continued external support or resources.
SUDAN’S ENERGY EFFICIENT APPLIANCES AND LIGHTING (SEEAL) PROJECT
The objective of this GEF-funded project is to achieve the promotion, demonstration, deployment, and transfer of innovative low-carbon technologies, particularly high efficiency and usage-controlling lighting technologies and climate-friendly room air conditioners.
- Development of a national strategy to advance energy efficiency in lighting and air conditioners (later extended to include refrigerators, fans and evaporative coolers) as part of the National Energy Efficiency Action Plan (NEEAP)
- Adoption of regulatory mechanisms directing the market towards energy efficient lighting products and air conditioners, including minimum energy performance standards (MEPS), a labelling scheme, and testing and importing procedures
- Establishment of a monitoring, verification, and enforcement system, to ensure that products in the market comply with the proposed MEPS
- Awareness-building of the new MEPS and regulatory mechanism among local supply chain stakeholders and end users to encourage compliance with new standards and bring energy efficient products to the market
- Enhancing environmentally sound management of lighting products and air conditioners to minimize the leakage of hazardous materials to the environment
November 29, 2022
The role that young people can have in spreading climate…
September 20, 2017
Global platforms such as United for Efficiency help implement energy-efficient…
December 7, 2015
7 December 2015: The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and…
Overview of the GEF-funded project to accelerate the transition to…Read More